Pack up those personal photographs and family heirlooms. Buyers can’t see past personal artefacts’, and you don’t want them to be distracted. You want buyers to imagine their own photos on the walls.
People collect an amazing quantity of Items, Consider this:
- If you haven’t used it in over a year, you probably don’t need it.
- If you don’t need it, why not donate it or throw it away?
- Remove all books from bookcases.
- Pack up those knick knacks.
- Clean off everything on kitchen counters.
- Put essential items used daily in a small box that can be stored in a closet when not in use.
- Think of this process as a head-start on the packing you will eventually need to do anyway.
Remove/Replace Favourite Items
If you want to take window coverings, built-in appliances or fixtures with you, remove them now. If the chandelier in the dining room once belonged to your great grandmother, take it down. If a buyer never sees it, she won’t want it. Once you tell a buyer she can’t have an item, she will covet it, and it could blow your deal. Pack those items and replace them, if necessary.
Make Minor Repairs
- Replace cracked floor or counter tiles.
- Patch holes in walls.
- Fix leaky facets.
- Fix doors that don’t close properly and kitchen drawers that jam.
- Consider painting your walls neutral colours, especially if you have grown accustomed to purple or pink walls.
- (Don’t give buyers any reason to remember your home as “the house with the orange bathroom.”)
- Replace burned-out light bulbs.
- If you’ve considered replacing a worn bedspread, do so now!
Make the House Sparkle!
- Wash windows inside and out.
- Rent a pressure washer and spray down paths and exterior.
- Clean out cobwebs.
- Vacuum daily.
- Bleach dingy grout.
- Hang up fresh towels.
- Clean and air out any musty smelling areas. Odours are a no!.
Check Curb Appeal
- If a buyer won’t get out of the agent’s car because they don’t like the exterior of your home, you’ll never get them inside.
- Keep the yard clear.
- Mow the lawn.
- Paint faded window trim.
- Trim trees and shrubs.